Preparing for Your Appraisal Step #1: Schedule an appointment
- Call us at 301-645-5144
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step #2: Collect all items you think you need to have appraised. Bring your questionable items too. We will help you sort out the items you need appraised.Step#3: Gather any old appraisals, laboratory reports, sales slips or anything pertinent to the value of the items.Appraisal Process
- When you arrive for your appointment, you may sit in the comfort of our office as we appraise your jewelry or you may leave it with us and return later in the day. Please note that we are fully insured.
- We will clean your jewelry and inspect for needed repairs.
- We will identify your gemstones, measure, estimate weights, grade and plot stones as required.
- We will photograph your jewelry as required.
- We will gather the information necessary to enable us to prepare the appraisal report as appropriate to its purpose and intended use.
- When we have finished inspecting , describing and photographing your jewelry, you may take your jewelry home. We may need additional time to research value and prepare your appraisal report, but you and your jewelry do not need to be present.
- When the report is complete you will be provided with two copies.
- Best of all, you will have a complete and accurate documentation of your jewelry, with an appropriate value, performed by a Certified Gemologist Appraiser.
Appraisal PricesProfessional Jewelry Appraisers charge for their services based on an hourly rate or a per-item fee. The total price is based on the number of items, the complexity of the designs and the age of the items. Estate and antique items require additional market research which adds to the total cost.
- Initial consultation is free. this will determine the type of appraisal needed, the scope of the assignment and the total fees.
- Minimum fee on a single item insurance appraisal is $75.00, additional items on the same report $50.00 to $100.00 each and up. Note: rings soldered together count individually.
- Engagement ring insurance appraisals can range from $75.00 to $175.00 and up depending on the size of the center stone and the complexity of the mounting.
When completed, your appraisal will remain active in our database for five years. If you would like your jewelry re-appraised or updated during that time period, the time required for re-appraising your jewelry, and thus your cost, will be greatly reduced. Due to market fluctuations we recommend having your appraisals updated every three years.